A Word From Our President, April 2020
April 6, 2020
The Chinese characters for "crisis" (simplified Chinese: 危机; traditional Chinese: 危機; pinyin: wēijī ) are composed of two Chinese characters signifying "danger" and "opportunity" respectively. Our daily life is changing rapidly, and we must change and adapt personally and with our profession as well. It is also critical to stay connected as a community and work to find and create opportunities that bring out the best in each other.
Take time to enjoy every opportunity you can with family, friends, and loved ones. While inside, try to make time to develop new skills, focus your energy on opportunity to contribute more value to those around you while we are inside during these times.
One skill I have been developing is the sewing of fabric masks to extend the life of surgical masks to help reduce the curve of Covid-19 infections. I encourage everyone to promote a "saving lives by staying home" message
Here is some important information for you on behalf of the PMI Board for April, 2020:
- PMI Dallas volunteers are working to create free or low-cost virtual workshops, training, and networking opportunities to serve all our members.
- PMI Hardship Provision is available to members. Members with three years of active membership with PMI may be granted a waiver for one-year free membership. This is a great way to stay connected for the next leap.
- PMI is targeting mid-April for exam candidates to have the option to take the Project Management Professional (PMP) exam online from their office or home. As a reminder, the PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (ACP) and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM) certifications can already be taken online.
- PMP exam change is postponed until January 2, 2021
- The Chapter offers three Project Management Scholarships
- PMI offers free online training
- Virtual Free Agile Teams training by IIL
- Continue developing your skills at home with these free online learning courses: Project Management for Beginners or Agile in the PMO or Business Continuity
- Stay connected to your global community on ProjectManagement.com
- COVID-19 Resource Hub for more free resources and a preview of new digital offerings.